Microsoft SBS 2011 Essentials Beta: Partition size too large

By YellowOnline on Tuesday 22 March 2011 19:29 - Comments (11)
Category: Windows, Views: 9.162

If you want to install SBS 2011 Essentials Beta, you might get this error:

Specified partition size is too large to support a data partition.

The reason seems to be that... you lack sufficient disk space :) I know: the error is ... erm... quite unclear on this. A quick glance at the System Requirements which we always look at before starting installation (... right?) learns us that for Standard we need at least 120GB and for Essentials at least... 160GB. Don't ask.

So, if you - like me - install SBS in a virtual machine: expand the disk to at least 160GB (or 120GB if using Standard) and the installer will run perfectly. I'll check out later if this virtual hard disk can be resized afterwards or not, because it is a waste of storage in pretty much any testing environment.

PS. I notice on the net that this error also exists in WHS

PPS. Anyone wondering why I suddenly care about an SBS product: I'm doing voluntary consultancy for an NGO right now ;)

Volgende: Brussel, Berlijn, Brussel 03-'11 Brussel, Berlijn, Brussel
Volgende: Intergalactic Lovers - Delay 03-'11 Intergalactic Lovers - Delay

Comments

By Tweakers user Afvalzak, Tuesday 22 March 2011 20:38

But which software are you using for this virtual Machine? Maybe other virtualization software won't have this problem? (VirtualBox for example)

By Tweakers user YellowOnline, Tuesday 22 March 2011 20:41

afvalzak wrote on Tuesday 22 March 2011 @ 20:38:
Vmware, but I can hardly believe this problem would be related to VMware. It seems logical for me that it just checks the available space and errors if below sysreq. The machine shouldn't know or care whether he's virtualized or physical.

By Tweakers user Afvalzak, Tuesday 22 March 2011 21:04

YellowOnline wrote on Tuesday 22 March 2011 @ 20:41:
[...]

No, it shouldn't but I do believe that at the time Windows 7 was released it wouldn't install on all virtual applications.

By Tweakers user Blokker_1999, Tuesday 22 March 2011 21:32

But does it use the space or just check if it is available? If it only checks the size of the partition than any auto-expanding virtual drive shouldn't use much additional space.

By Tweakers user YellowOnline, Tuesday 22 March 2011 21:34

Blokker_1999 wrote on Tuesday 22 March 2011 @ 21:32:
[...]
It only checks for available space, so if you don't preallocate space it doesn't really matter indeed. Still, I like to keep in control over the disk growth :)

By Tweakers user analog_, Tuesday 22 March 2011 21:48

Same problem in ESXi 4.0 + WHS beta. Seems related to virtualization or the hardware controller driver (storage stack).

[Comment edited on Tuesday 22 March 2011 21:49]

By Tweakers user Gish, Wednesday 23 March 2011 08:58

It doesn't have anything to do with virtualization software. I tried installing it on a normal server, but it came with the same error. I didn't try WHS yet, but SBS2011 is running right now with a 200 Gb volume.

By Tweakers user YellowOnline, Wednesday 23 March 2011 09:08

Gish wrote on Wednesday 23 March 2011 @ 08:58:
That's exactly what I thought, but I am glad someone tested it on a physical server. It is just a confusing error.

By Tweakers user Gish, Wednesday 23 March 2011 10:04

Did you try to resize the virtual disk already? I am inclined to say that Windows won't boot anymore... Am I right? I wouldn't be suprised tbh...

By Tweakers user Blasterxp, Friday 25 March 2011 13:38

How much diskspace was used when the installation was completed?

By Tweakers user Gish, Friday 25 March 2011 21:33

Blasterxp wrote on Friday 25 March 2011 @ 13:38:
How much diskspace was used when the installation was completed?
I'm not quite sure anymore, but is was approximately 12 Gb. I can't check it anymore because I replaced it with 2008R2 :)