So how does my own network look?

By YellowOnline on Saturday 17 March 2018 12:17 - Comments (7)
Category: Other, Views: 4.737

Often people ask me how my infrastructure at home looks. From now on, I'll be able to point everyone to this blogpost.

Not included is the wireless: 2 Sophos AP15 Access Points, 7 phones, 1 tablet, 5 laptops. Additionally there's 9 Philips Hue lamps, 2 switches and 3 movement detectors.

Volgende: Installing the VMware vSphere Client 4.1 on Windows 10 05-04 Installing the VMware vSphere Client 4.1 on Windows 10
Volgende: Cleaning up Windows Explorer 26-02 Cleaning up Windows Explorer

Comments

By Tweakers user Pietervs, Sunday 18 March 2018 01:04

So I'm looking at this pic, but I get lost in your connections.

I assume the internet is coming into your house via the sattelite dish. If it is, then why doesn’t the link connect to your modem? If it isn’t, then why is it in this picture?

What is connected to the Philips hub? Is that just for lightning? If so: remove it from your picture, unless you’re trying to create an overview of everything that is connected to you network. Same goes for the UPS: does that even have an Ethernet connection?

I see a patch connecting to another patch. Really? Or does each patch have its own connection to the Sophos? And the second patch has 5 connections? Or is there another switch or hub connecting these devices?

How is your wireless network connected, anyways? You don't have to add it to this pic, but a link showing where the wireless part connects to the wired part might be nice. Unless the APs connect directly to the Sophos :)

The Sophos is the heart of your network, I assume. It connects your nerwork to the rest of the world and divides your network between the wired and wireless parts, as well as divides the wired part into two separate parts (where one breaks out to your switch, the other to the patch ports). But from the picture, I can’t really see that: it appears to be just another device, with the same importance and relevance to your network as your tv does...

Just some thoughts, hope they’re useful to you :)

[Comment edited on Sunday 18 March 2018 01:34]

By Tweakers user vanaalten, Sunday 18 March 2018 11:58

...my guess is that there is a cable or DSL connection to the modem, from there to the Sophos firewall and distributed further. The dish is probably just for receiving satellite TV (decoded by the media player probably) and is probably not at all network related.

There ARE network connected APC UPS-es, so that could be correct (though I would probably have drawn two wires from patch to UPS & Synology, but that's cosmethics).

The patch-to-other-patch is a bit weird indeed.

By Tweakers user YellowOnline, Sunday 18 March 2018 12:03

@Pietervs
@vanaalten

Indeed: the satellite dish is connecting satellite TV and doesn't really belong in the diagram. I made this to have an overview of my data cables, hence... .

The UPS is indeed network connected. The patch to patch is the connection between two rooms through a fixed cable in the floor with patching on both sides.

Finally, my two Access Points are missing from the diagram. I just forgot about them when I made it. Maybe I'll update it later today.

By Tweakers user Pietervs, Sunday 18 March 2018 16:08

@PcDealer
Ziet er goed uit.
Werd ff op verkeerde been gezet door die 20Gbs, maar daar wordt natuurlijk de backplane mee bedoeld :)

[Comment edited on Sunday 18 March 2018 16:10]

By Tweakers user PcDealer, Sunday 18 March 2018 19:18

Pietervs wrote on Sunday 18 March 2018 @ 16:08:
@PcDealer
Ziet er goed uit.
De stackmodule inderdaad.

Multi 10 GbE backbone kan ook nog:

[Comment edited on Sunday 18 March 2018 19:22]

By Tweakers user wibra, Monday 30 July 2018 10:28

Printer is not network-connected? That's a huge convenience I would miss here.

In order to comment on this post you need to be logged in. Use this link to log in when you are already a registered user. If you don't have an account you can create one here.